Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What kind of a blog is this?

I had an aha moment reading Rettberg's chapter on the definition of blogs. According to Rettberg (2008), there are three types of blogs: Personal blogs like Julie Powel's that I mentioned before, filter blogs such as kottke.org, and topic-driven blogs such as dailykos.com.

Personal blogs are very much "share my diary with the rest of the world" type of blogs. I was not that much up for it. No one except my sister is allowed to see my diaries.

Topic-driven blogs, as the name implies, are impersonal and topic based blogs. Those are usually collaborative efforts. Many newspapers or political parties have a blog site. Those sites remain professional, yet allow the readers to comment on the article or on each others' comments. Well, I was trying to escape from academic and serious writing, so I was not up for that either (not yet at least).

In filter blogs, the blogger covers a topic with a personal twist and perspective. The author can get personal about certain topics. This was what exactly it! I could get a chance to reflect on the issues I find interesting and comment on them as I would have with my fiance, colleagues, friends.

Feels good to know what you are doing...

No comments:

Post a Comment